POSTGRADUATE CERTIFICATE COURSE IN HUMAN RIGHTS
The Next Batch Starts From 2nd Week Of December 2022
About the Course
Objectives of the Course
Hurt Foundation and Government Law College, Mumbai offers a 3-month Certificate Program in Human Rights that covers the philosophy, evolution and fundamental issues in Human Rights law and politics, as one of its popular programs. The focus of the Course is to create awareness about the protection of the self, the available mechanisms for protection and enforcement of Human Rights in general and the work of international institutions in giving policy direction to Human Rights. The course also aims to impart knowledge to work effectively in a wide range of related areas, both for those who work in the field and off it, as well as those interested in enhancing their knowledge in legal, political, sociological and ethical theory. The primary goal is to enable the participants to think critically and understand the intricacies of Human Rights, to make the world a better place.
Structure of the Course
Module 1: Human Rights- Concept, Development, Evolution
• Philosophical, Sociological and Political debates
• Benchmarks of Human Rights Movement
Module 2: Human Rights and the Indian Constitution
• Constitutional framework
• Fundamental Rights & Duties
• Directive Principles of State Policy
• Welfare State – Welfare Schemes
Module 3: Human Rights & State Mechanisms
• Police & Human Rights
• Judiciary & Human Rights
• Prisons & Human Rights
• National and State Human Rights Commissions
• Rights of Victims
Module 4: Human Rights and the International scene
• UN Documents
• International Mechanism (UN & Regional)
• International Criminal Court
Module 5: Human Rights of the Vulnerable & Marginalised Sections
• Gender Rights: Women and Gender Minorities
• Social Minorities
• Issues around
Module 6: Human Rights & Health
• Right to Health
• Disability & Human Rights
• Organ Transplant
• Pandemic-related Human Rights Issues
Module 7: Human Rights & Environment
• Globalization & Development
• Resources & Subsistence Rights
• Unorganized Sector
• Environmental Movement (NGO’s & GO initiatives)
• Global Warming and Climate Change
Module 8: Citizen’s Role and Civil Society
• Social Movements
• Civil Society Organizations
• Public Interest Litigation
• Right to Information
• Role of the Media
• International Humanitarian Principles
• Crimes against Humanity: Torture, Genocide
• Human Rights and Fair-Trial Principles
• Non-State Violence: Terrorism, Naxalism,
• Euthanasia, Capital Punishment
• Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs)
• Human Rights & IPR
• Human Rights & Technology: including AI
Participants will have to submit assignments on time and score the pass percentage to be eligible for the Certificate. Non-submission or failing to score minimum marks will be treated as non-fulfilment of the basic requirements for the course.
In order to qualify for the Certificate, a candidate must obtain a minimum 45% of marks in all the components of evaluation as well as have an attendance of 75%. Plagiarism of any kind will be considered as non-submission and lead to non-fulfillment of the basic requirements for the course.
Eligibility: Graduation in any discipline.
Duration: The duration of the course is 3 months.
Mode of Classes: Interactive online live classes will be held using a video conferencing app like Zoom etc. Participants will get a chance to ask their questions and clear their doubts during the class or in the portals provided for discussions.
Other Details :
Assignment 1: Participants will be required to choose a topic from list of core issue Human Rights and write an essay. (1500 words – 100 marks)
Assignment 2: Participants will have to choose the topic from list of current issues and will have to submit for critical evaluation. (2000 words – 100 marks)
Field Learning Assessment:
- Off line course : Participants will be required to visit organizations involved in Human Rights issues and present an Assessment Report of the Visits. (800 words-50 marks )
- On line Course: Participants will be required to present an Assessment Report based on the speakers invited for on-line exposure to field realties. (800 words-50 marks )
*Optional: Students will have an opportunity for attachment with an organization and submitting a project report as and when required by GLC.
The entire course fee is ₹ 6.000/- per participant and ₹ 500/- for the Prospects & Application Form. Applicants will have to make a payment to the account mentioned below & send the proof of payment to email@example.com with the subject “Fee Payment: PGCCHR 2022”.
The fee once deposited will not be refunded.
Name: Hurt Foundation
Account Number: 001720110000549
Bank of India, D.N. Road Branch